At House of Chronos we love independent watchmakers, mostly because they are doing what they love. Driven by passion and creativity instead of consumer demand or because some marketing chief wants a new watch model for his marketing campaign.
The process of “independent” watchmakers is more like that of an artist than a watch company. One of those watchmaking artists is Mr. Stepan Sarpaneva. He was born in 1970 as little boy of a Finnish family with a long heritage of craftsmanship. Mr. Sarpaneva’s ambition is; “to create unique design, fusing timeless elegance with unorthodox boldness.” Based in Helsinki – Finland, Sarpaneva Watches manufactures mechanical timepieces in the spirit of the traditional watchmaker’s art. Scandinavia is wel know for its designers. So not without a reason this part of watchmaking is what Mr. Sarpaneva understands, especially if you have a look at his beautiful designed moonphase complications. Some of you watch heads maybe know him as one of the “Friends” of MB&F. Mr. Sarpaneva collaborated with MB&F and designed and developed the moonphase modul for the HM3 moonmachine also known as the “frog” watch.
For hundreds of years people up north believed that the Northern Lights were sparked by a fox, sweeping its tail on the snowy slopes. Annyhow we know for sure it wasn’t a fox, it was a Swedish high-tech composite artist Mr. Black Badger. Mr Sarpaneva created in collaboration with Mr. James Thomposon of Black Badger Adcanced Composites the Korona Northern Lights series. Three damn good looking luminous timepieces: Green, Blue and Violet. These three pieces of art couldn’t be what they are without the Master of moon glow, Mr. Thompson – Mr. Thompson if you are reading, thank you! Personally I’am a big fan of moonphase complications, because you could say astrology is the essence of time.
Can you imagine how cool it looks like after a sunny day going to a club wearing your Korona Northen Lights, and start your own light show. Shine your Northen Light, you definitely can say this is a shiny watch. Now how’s that for some bling on your wrist? Diamonds are no longer cool, give us Lume.
- Modified Soprod A10 calibre, 11.5 lines, 28800 vph (4 Hz)
- Mechanical, automatic winding
- Phases of the moon (29.5 days), in-house complication
- 25 jewels
- 42-hour power reserve
- Rhodium-plated, perlage finishing
- DLC coated winding mass with 18K gold moon and masses
- Stainless steel, 46 mm in diameter, 12 mm in thickness
- 1.5 mm thick curved sapphire crystal with multi anti-reflective coating inside
- Double secured water-resistant SARPANEVA screw-down crown
- Water-resistant to 10 ATM
- DLC coated blue, green or violet with Super-LumiNova indexes
- Luminous dials in collaboration with James Thompson of Black Badger Advanced Composites
- Moon faces made of 18K red gold and 18K white gold
- Rhodium-plated hands with Super-LumiNova
- Leather in various colours, rubber
- Stainless steel buckle